This is another recipe we eat fairly often at our home. It is easy to make but it also makes a great freezer meal for those days when you are busy. When I make this recipe for the freezer I will make two or three batches, one for our meal that night and two for the freezer.
I freeze this before cooking the noodles and it has always turned out well for us. You could just freeze the meat with the sauce and then add the noodles just as you are ready to cook to take up even less room in the freezer for those of you who have limited freezer space.
This recipe costs $2.00 and which works out to be $.33 to $.50 per serving.
Hamburger Skillet Dish
1/2 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 can tomato sauce (15oz)
2 cups of Macaroni (uncooked)
1/2 T Vinegar
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1. Cook the ground beef in a skillet with the onions until the onions are tender and the beef is no longer pink and cooked through. Drain any extra fat.
2. In a bowl add the rest of the ingredients and then add the ground beef/onion mixture. Mix well. This would be the time to put the hamburger skillet mix into a zipper freezer bag if you will be freezing it.
3. Once mixed well add to a large skillet. I use the one I cooked the ground beef in. Then add in 2 to 2 1/2 cups of water. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes.
4. Then if the dish looks too watery after the cooking time. Let simmer with the lid off until the consistency you like.
5. We serve ours with a little goat or sheep cheese sprinkled on top but this is optional.
If you want the dish to be more like the Hamburger Helper Lasagna skillet you can add in the small lasagna type noodles instead of the macaroni.
Also if you have any peppers that are getting past their prime they work good for added color to the dish.
Make this dish vegetarian by using the meatless crumbles or using TVP instead of the ground beef.
Want to find more Hamburger Recipes? You can find over 50 Hamburger Meat Recipes here!
Other Posts in This Series
Day One, Oat Groats
Day Two, Rice Cereal
Day Three, Cinnamon Twists
Day Four, Jam Danish
Day Five, Caramel Sticky Buns
Day Six, Cheeseburger Muffins
Day Seven, Pinwheel Sandwiches
Day Eight, Pizza Cups
Day Nine, Crisp Bean Burritos
Day Ten, Twice Baked Taco Potatoes
Day Eleven, Crock Pot Whole Chicken
Day Twelve, Chicken and Bean Enchiladas
Day Thirteen, Cheesy Ham and Potato Crock Pot Dish